Oak Bluffs, Martha’s Vineyard GPS Audio Tour
Take a self-guided walking tour of the most visited town on Martha’s Vineyard. Explore the town’s origin as a religious summer camp through its development as a resort destination.
Places to eat, shop, and chill
Beaches and attractions
1 - 1.5 hours
Available when it’s convenient for you
Starts at the bandstand in scenic Ocean Park, directly across from the Steamship Authority ferry terminal. This audio tour of Martha’s Vineyard is the most complete self-guided experience that you will find on the island.
The audio tour is available instantly upon purchase. Audio begins automatically when you arrive at a specific point of interest.
- Ocean Park: Learn the overall history of how Martha’s Vineyard was settled, the history of how this iconic park was built, and its most famous oceanfront home
- Walk to Oak Bluffs Town Beach and Inkwell Beach. See the famous Villa Rosa home and learn its significance to the island’s culture
- It’s only a short stroll to the famous Gingerbread Cottages, officially known as the Martha’s Vineyard Camp Meeting Association
- Head on over to Circuit Avenue, the center of commercial activity in Oak Bluffs. Learn of the initial rift between the religious Methodist campers who wanted a serene place to worship and the developers who turned the town into a secular tourist destination
- Ride the Flying Horses Carousel (admission separate) and learn about how this Coney Island attraction ended up here
- Visit Oak Bluffs Harbor. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, and this place is it. Grab the island’s signature drink, a lobster roll, or a basket of fried clams and enjoy the laid-back feeling in the air.
What You Should Bring
- Bring along a smartphone to listen to the tour. You may share between people in your group, or use headphones to listen in individually.
- If you have a portable phone charger, bring that along as well.
Best Times for This Excursion
- This tour can be enjoyed whenever is good for you during daylight hours.
- If you would like to enter some of the buildings along the tour, then you will want to check the operating hours of those locations (Separate fees apply).
- Seasonally, the audio tour of Martha’s Vineyard – Oak Bluffs is available year-round. While you can enjoy this tour whenever you like, it is especially popular during the shoulder seasons, when live tours are unavailable on the island.
Where does the tour take place?
The tour is conducted within public grounds and areas. We discuss some interior locations, but if you would like to access these areas, there may be a separate fee to enter. The Cottage Museum and Shop ($3 per adult, $0.50 per child) is an example.
Are there restrooms along the route?
Public restrooms are available adjacent to the Steamship Authority ferry terminal.
Preview the Oak Bluffs Audio Tour
Walk Along Oak Bluffs’s most scenic and historic roads.
Discover how a small religious summer camp transformed into one of Martha’s Vineyard’s most popular island destinations on this walking tour through the town of Oak Bluffs.
Starting in Ocean Park, you’ll follow the coast to Inkwell Beach before heading into the heart of the town. Along the way, you’ll hear its history and find out what makes this island paradise so alluring to everyone from the rich and famous to curious Cape Cod vacationers that come for a day. Around Trinity Park, you’ll see Martha’s Vineyard Camp Meeting Association, its cottage museum, and the Tabernacle in Oak Bluffs which is a place of worship. After heading down Circuit Avenue, where I’ll show you the town’s famous Flying Horses Carousel, our tour will come to an end at the harbor.
By the end of this tour, you’ll have the answers to questions like:
- How did Martha’s Vineyard get its name?
- What is the origin of the famous gingerbread cottages?
- Who are some of Oak Bluffs’ most notable African-American cultural icons?
- How did Oak Bluffs go from a religious settlement to a secular resort town?
- What is the most famous (and delicious) drink on the island, and where do you get it?
Whether you’re on the island for only a day, or calling Martha’s Vineyard home for the season, this tour is for anyone who wants to dig into Oak Bluffs’ past and enjoy its present. Allow 60-90 minutes to get the most out of this tour. There are a few places to stop along the way in case you’d like some relief from the sun, or to grab a drink or bite to eat.
How It Works
Click the button below and you will be taken to a secure purchase form via my booking vendor. Regardless of the day that you choose on the calendar, you can begin the tour whenever you’d like. You will have unlimited access to the tour.
After purchase, you will receive an automated email with instructions for downloading the Voice Map application through the Apple or Google Play stores, along with a voucher code to access the tour. Further instructions are included in the email, along with my cell number in the event of any technical issues. It’s pretty easy.