Oak Bluffs, Martha’s Vineyard Audio Tour
Take a self-guided walking tour of the most visited town on Martha’s Vineyard. Streamed through your smartphone, this 60-90 minute tour explores some of the most famous landmarks in town.
Places to eat, shop, and chill
Beaches and attractions
1 - 1.5 hours
Available when it’s convenient for you
Starts at the bandstand in scenic Ocean Park, directly across from the Steamship Authority ferry terminal. This audio tour of Martha’s Vineyard is the most complete self-guided experience that you will find on the island.
The audio tour is available instantly upon purchase. All files stream through your phone, so there is no app to download, no accounts to create, and no passwords to remember.
- Ocean Park: Learn the overall history of how Martha’s Vineyard was settled, the history of how this iconic park was built, and its most famous oceanfront home
- Walk to Oak Bluffs Town Beach and Inkwell Beach. See the famous Villa Rosa home and learn its significance to the island’s culture
- It’s only a short stroll to the famous Gingerbread Cottages, officially known as the Martha’s Vineyard Camp Meeting Association
- Head on over to Circuit Avenue, the center of commercial activity in Oak Bluffs. Learn of the initial rift between the religious Methodist campers who wanted a serene place to worship and the developers who turned the town into a secular tourist destination
- Ride the Flying Horses Carousel (admission separate) and learn about how this Coney Island attraction ended up here
- Visit Oak Bluffs Harbor. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, and this place is it. Grab the island’s signature drink, a lobster roll, or a basket of fried clams and enjoy the laid-back feeling in the air.
What You Should Bring
- Bring along a smartphone to listen to the tour. You may share between people in your group, or use headphones to listen in individually.
- If you have a portable phone charger, bring that along as well.
Best Times for This Excursion
- This tour can be enjoyed whenever is good for you during daylight hours.
- If you would like to enter some of the buildings along the tour, then you will want to check the operating hours of those locations (Separate fees apply).
- Seasonally, the audio tour of Martha’s Vineyard – Oak Bluffs is available year-round. While you can enjoy this tour whenever you like, it is especially popular during the shoulder seasons, when live tours are unavailable on the island.
Where does the tour take place?
The tour is conducted within public grounds and areas. We discuss some interior locations, but if you would like to access these areas, there may be a separate fee to enter. The Cottage Museum and Shop ($3 per adult, $0.50 per child) is an example.
Are there restrooms along the route?
Public restrooms are available adjacent to the Steamship Authority ferry terminal.
Walk Along Oak Bluffs’s most scenic and historic roads.
Join me on this self-paced tour of Martha’s Vineyard’s most visited summer destination – Oak Bluffs. We will explore the town’s history and its beginnings as a quiet, religious summer retreat, through its present-day reputation as the summer residence of the rich and famous.
This tour of Martha’s Vineyard takes place outside and can be completed in approximately 60-90 minutes. There is no LIVE tour guide associated with this tour. All narration is streamed on-demand through your smartphone.
How It Works
You can purchase the Audio Tour on this secure page using a credit card. After purchase, you will be taken to a page that features the audio player as well as the interactive map that you will use to guide yourself along the walking route. All that you need is a smartphone. There are no apps to download, no passwords to remember.
You will have access to the audio tour for 1 year from the date of purchase. However, you may download the audio files if you wish for later use. Each member of your group may stream the tour from their own device if desired. There is no need to share the screen or audio with others, making it as convenient as possible.